Thursday, March 10, 2011

What's a happy mom?

The Today show had a segment this morning on happy moms. They interviewed the author of "10 Habits of Happy Mothers". This got me thinking, what makes me a happy mom?

I am certainly not happy all the time. Lately, I've been in the 43% (as the segment reported) of mothers that are unhappy. Leaving my job as helped tremendously, but I'm not quite there yet! Here's my list so far on what makes me a happy mom:

1. Coffee. Coffee makes me a happier mom, without question! I need my 1 cup a day. I try really hard to finish a cup in the morning, because that caffeine does give me some energy throughout the day. Lately, since I haven't been able to sit and drink a cup of coffee, I have been using my Magic Bullet to make myself frappuccinos. I can drink those down in 2 seconds flat! I've been blessed with being immune to brain freeze

2. Sleep. Well, it would make me happy if I got any. I find that I am way too grumpy for my kids when I don't get enough, or any, sleep. Unfortunately this has been my #1 problem right now. I just cant sleep!

3. Baking. If I actually get a chance to get in the kitchen and bake, I feel like I've accomplished something great!

4. Seeing my kids smile. I think our kids are a reflection of us, so if I see them smiling, I must be doing something right! This makes me happier.

5. A clean kitchen. I think I spend more time in the kitchen than in any other room, so when I walk in to my clean kitchen, it's a very relaxing feeling.

6. Drinking a cup of tea and taking my vitamins. I know I don't always eat healthy; some times, I don't eat enough. I drink my tea and take my vitamins, I feel like I'm making an effort to take care of myself.

7. Grocery shopping alone, with a latte. I don't do this often, but sometimes, I'll leave the kids at home with my husband while I grocery shop. I will pick up a coffee on the way, so that I can slowly browse the grocery store and sip my drink. My husband wonders why it takes me so long to grocer shop :0) I don't buy extra things, I still stick to my budget, but this is the only "me" time I get.


What makes YOU a happy mom?

No comments:

Post a Comment